Rust can stain your concrete driveway and make it lose its appeal. Removing it then becomes necessary to restore the look of the surface. Depending on the nature and extent of the staining, you may clean the rust yourself or hire a qualified person.
Tiny rust spots that have not stayed on the surface for long are easy to remove, sometimes even with a few homemade solutions. Larger stains may require commercial grade rust removers and equipment to eliminate. They would also need someone with expert knowledge concerning cleaning rust off concrete driveway for the process to be effective and safe.
Rust stains that are not too old are light coloured. These are easy to remove, and you can do so in a few steps using either lemon juice or vinegar.
- Clear the area of anything that could hamper the process to remove the rust such as dirt and debris.
- Pour the mild acidic solution on the stain (lemon juice or vinegar). Acidic compounds usually remove rust. However, care should be taken as strong ones can cause damage to the concrete’s surface.
- Let the solution sit for a few minutes. This allows it to react with the rust for effective removal.
- Scrub the spot using a brush with hard bristles. This serves to dislodge the stain so you can wash off the surface easily.
- Rinse off the area with clean cold water until clear.
- You may need to repeat the steps if the rust proves difficult to remove completely. Ensure that you scrub the affected surface with a brush to ensure most of the stain comes out.
It’s important to wear protective clothing when cleaning rust off concrete driveway. Also, ensure the cleaning solution you use won’t discolour the surface of the concrete. You can test that on a hidden part of the driveway so you’re sure your rust removing technique won’t cause noticeable damage. If uncertain, the work is better left to an expert, especially if the problem is all over the driveway.
Stubborn rust stains and those that have stayed on the concrete driveway for long appear darker in colour. These are difficult to remove and may not be entirely clear with the simple process explained above. You may use commercial rust removers to clean them. Better still, you can have the driveway cleaned professionally. That’s because apart from using commercial stain removers, you may require pressure washing equipment to ensure the rust is gone for good. Besides that, you may need to know the cleaning chemicals that are safe to use and those that present harm to the environment and the driveway.
A professional driveway cleaning company usually employs proven and safe techniques to remove rust stains. The whole process is bound to be quick and effective, resulting in a cleaner driveway within a short time. In most cases, your driveway may be requiring a clean up other than the removal of the rust stains. You can then have the company carry out the work alongside cleaning the rust.